Mawayuki KAWAKAMI, the editor of "Fishing industry's history around Ota river's delta at Hiroshima city", admires Yasube YASUDA (1846~1916) 's contribution.
YASUDA's family business has consisted of oyster farming and had a relationship with the village office. He was a land surveyor. YASUDA completed technical drawing and measurement surveys around Nihojima-mura 'til 1901. Therefore, when the Fisheries Act (Act No. 34 of 1901) was officially announced in 1902, Nihojima-mura's fishing rights were carried out peacefully and accurately. The village acknowledges his great contribution.
Yasube YASUDA (Ougami-Ya) formed a group of oyster kabunakama (trade associations) with Hanzaburo Kanai, Tyujiro Okumura, Raizo Ohama and Tatsujiro Wada in 1743. They monopolized oyster production and sales at the Osaka Horikawa with Kusatu's team.
Yasujiro YASUDA exhibited oysters in the First National Industrial Exhibition held in Ueno in 1877. The exhibition was held as a means of fukoku kyohei (fortifying the country, strengthening the military) in the Meiji period.
Heishiro YASUDA exhibited cocoons and dried seaweed in the Third National Industrial Exhibition held in Ueno in 1890, and he earned an honorable mention for dried seaweed from the Secretary of Interior, Toshimichi OKUBO.
Yasujiro YASUDA exhibited dried oysters in the Second Marine Product Exhibition held in Kobe in 1897.
And, he was a group leader for fishermen's union in 1902.
'Yasujiro YASUDA (Sub village chief from May 1887.05.23 to 1909.09.10, Transcriber and Village council member from 1892 to 1904 and from 1917 to 1921', 'Heishiro YASUDA (Village council member from 1889 to 1897)', 'Matsujiro YASUDA (Village council member from 1907 to 1913)', 'Kenzuchi YASUDA (Treasurer until 1929.03.31)'.
Matsujiro YASUDA (age:20) had attended a course of silk cultivation and yarn-making at silkworm factory from 1885 to 1888.
And he (age:62) had discussed annexation of Niho and Hiroshima as one of exploratory Committee from 10/1926 to 12/1927.
Junzo YASUDA (age:24) who is a son of Heshiro YASUD transferred at Penryn, CA in 1916. Masao Yasuda (age:18) as gardener, Katsumi YASUDA and Masami YASUDA as a student also transferred at Los Angeles, CA from 1927 to 1937
Yasube YASUDA and Hikobe YASUDA assigned the part of oyster and nori farm in 1862 ~ 1875.
Yasube YASUDA, Syutaro YASUDA and Heishiro YASUDA still sold oyster to commission agent at Osaka in 1903.
Ryokichi YASUDA (age:29) who is a son of Matsujiro YASUDA visited at Penryn, CA in 1917 as a teacher. Fusakichi Dairiki who is a younger brother of Umeno (wife of Matsujiro YASUDA) lodged him in spare room of their grocery store. Then his daughter was borned in 1919.
Niho-jima was an island in the western part of the Inland Sea of Japan and located in the northeast of Hiroshima Bay. Niho-jima is also known as Niho Island, Niho-jima, Niho-shima.
In the northwest of the bay, the Itsukushima Island is popularly known as Miyajima.
Nihojima was a half-agricultural and half-fishing area from 1200 to 1600. This island had seven fishing ports like Hon-ura, Oko-ura, Tanna-ura, Hiuna-ura, Housogi-ura, Fuchizaki-ura and Mukainada-ura, which was located on Mukainada-jima Island.
The Nihojima village communities were established on Niho-jima Island, Nino-shima Island, Kanawa Island, Benten Island, Ko-Benten Island, Ando-jima Island and Ujina Island in the beginning of the Edo era (from 1603 to 1868) .
Their livelihood was disrupted by the land reclamation project between Hiroshima city and the island of Nihojima in 1662. Later, many peopele immigrated to Hawaii, California and Brazil from 1885 to 1924 (38.2% of all emigrants from Japan were residents of a Hiroshima prefecture.)
In 1624, Heishiro YOSHIWAYA took the ishimaki rock farming method and developed it into the hibitate (bamboo sticks) farming method at Fuchizaki-ura (port) on Nihojima. Heishiro Jr. desiged an original method for cultivating oysters which is typical at Fuchizaki-ura (port).
Hanzaburo OCHAYA started dried seaweed cultivation at Honura (port) on Nihojima in 1660. Tyushiro ASHIYA, who lived at Fuchizaki, studied the process of processing seaweed called Asakusa-Nori (Nori-suki: a method for producing three-dimensional material from fiber, such as seaweed in liquid) and caused it to be widely used in 1811.
The cotton growing on Nihojima was one of popular industries in the land reclamation project from 1662. Soon after the start of the Meiji period, the sericultural industry grew.
Shrine pavilion was constructed in 885. The Empress Jingo enshrined Niutsuhime after he conquered Korea.
12-17 Nishihonura-cho, Minami Ward, Hiroshima
Castle was constructed before 1470. Mitsutane SHIRAI was ordered by TAKEDA to guard the castle in 1495. After the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, this castle was abandoned. The owners were SHIRAI, Mitsukage KAGAWA and Mototada MIURA.
There were 160 white-walled storehouses which were 3.6m x 5.4m before. The storehouses are a symbol which they had succeeded as migrant workers in United State or Brazil.
This temple is the Shingon, and this was constructed in 1501. Tadataka INO (1745~1818) who was a surveyor and cartographer stayed here.
This shinto shrine was constructed in 8/24/1722. Kamadogami is a god considered to be the "god of the kitchen".
1-16-14 Niho, Minami Ward, Hiroshima
Rai Sanyo (1780~1832) who was a confucian scholar in the Edo period composed the Chinese poem about the tree in 1808.
Chiba-shi, Inage-ku, Chiba
I want to hand the truth down from generation to generation because it is really unfortunate to lose understanding grounds of our lineage.